Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Book Review - "Rise: 3 Practical Steps for Advancing Your Career, Standing Out as a Leader, and Liking Your Life"


I picked up a copy of Rise: 3 Practical Steps for Advancing Your Career, Standing Out as a Leader, and Liking Your Life (Link on Amazon) on Kindle for my iPad.  I was blown away by the wealth of practical advice on advancing a career, especially in technology companies.  Much of the knowledge in this book aligns very much with the philosophy of work I have been developing in my head.

Now I don't need to write a book about it because this is the book.  I have learned most of these lessons the hard way, by making lots of mistakes and learning from them.  Also - I have always had great people around me that gave me critical feedback at the right times.  One of the biggest challenges was learning to take feedback.

I would recommend this book to anyone who truly wants to advance their career through leadership.  Each chapter I read stood out to me and I could think of someone in my life that was currently fighting their way through that section.  For example, there is a great chapter on moving from "work horse" to "leader" that I will be recommending to a few coworkers who have great potential.

To show what I think of this book, I bought 8 copies to give to coworkers as post-holiday gifts that can perhaps help them past some of the challenges I have had to face in my career.

Leadership is truly a personal journey.  Here is a great blog post if you want to read more about that.

No comments: